Recent Posts

Blog Archive



Thursday, October 9, 2008

IX Web Hosting Review

By Russell Hancock

Paying more than I have to is something I really hate. If I can save some money and get the same service of course I will do that. But the problem is that the money you save is often not worth the extra downtime and problems that you might encounter. So now when I search for a web hosting plan I like to research what people say about them before just shopping for a price. What's more, I learned the hard way that you have to read the feature set very precisely otherwise you can be in for a nasty surprise when you find you can't do what you wanted to do.

IX Web Hosting has a bit of a mixed reputation online and I wasn't sure if I'd go for it but after looking at their feature set I decided I might as well give it a go. The main selling point for me was the unlimited domains, data transfer and web space offered even with the most basic plan. However, this offer must always be balanced against the risk of overselling, and with IX Web Hosting I found that this was an issue. My site was sometimes slow to respond and I did worry that I might have missed out on some visits due to that.

In terms of reliability there was a similar concern, in that my site suffered a few bits of downtime, sometimes lasting more than 5 or 6 hours and frankly this really grated on me and I doubt whether in the future I'd come back. The story was the same even after a number of upgrades I was told about by IX Web Hosting and it made me think that upgrade just meant - broken in another way.

With such problems it might come as no surprise that their support staff are courteous and efficient at all times - I expect they get a lot of traffic! That said, I did get the feeling that they always responded quickly and tried to help me and often did.

All of this came at a fantastically low price and so I did sort of expect some of the problems I encountered but I didn't expect perhaps this low level of service. I'd advise people to steer clear of IX Web Hosting in the future until they clean up their act. Yes they might be cheap, but you have to remember that you get what you pay for.


There are hundreds of Web Hosts out there. Find out everything you need to know about how to choose the RIGHT web host for your needs, and see the reviews of this weeks top picks at Five Star Web Host Reviews and at Top Ten Reviews for Webhosting

0 comments:

 

GooContents | Jump to TOP